Careers: Heavy Equipment Operators in Saw, Pulp, and Paper Mills
Heavy Equipment Operators in Saw, Pulp, and Paper Mills
This job is right for you if….
You like activities that include practical, hands-on problem solutions.
Approximately 426,600 workers were employed in this occupation in 2016.
- thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- reading work-related information
- Operate heavy equipment in compliance with the company’s operating safety policies and procedures.
- Ensure company equipment, material, and the worksite are maintained, kept clean, and stored in a safe manner. Collect and dispose of scrap, excess materials, and refuse
- Provide recommendations for maintaining and improving environmental performance
What They Do:
Operate one or several types of power construction equipment, such as bulldozers, front-end loaders, forklifts, backhoes, dump trucks, cargo trucks, and/or hydraulic truck cranes.
They do well at jobs that need:
- Attention to Detail
- Analytical Thinking
Median Hourly Earnings:
Job Types Include:
- Heavy Machine Operator
- Paper Machine Operator
Maine Based Resources To Get Training: Adhesive Bonding Machine Operator
Currently, there are several vocational trade schools that have specialized classes in industrial manufacturing.
- Beal University – Bangor, ME
- Northeast Technical Institute – Bangor, ME
- Northern Penobscot Tech Region – Lincoln, ME
- Southern Aroostook Vocational – Staceyville, ME 04777
Maine Community College System
Community Colleges offer programs that may be of interest to a prospective machinist operator or associated worker (i.e., anyone with interest in manufacturing) Programs vary from welding to equipment operation, and more.
- Northern Maine Community College – Presque Isle, Maine
- Central Maine Community College – Auburn, Maine
- Eastern Maine Community College – Bangor, Maine
- Kennebec Valley Community College – Fairfield and Hinkley, Maine
- Southern Maine Community College – South Portland, Maine
- Washington County Community College – Calais, Maine
- York County Community College – Wells, Maine
University of Maine- Mechanical Engineering
Maine Maritime Academy – Mechanical Engineering
Find Out More!
Interested in finding out more about forestry positions, businesses, and careers here in Maine? Simply share some information below and we’ll have an industry representative reach out directly to you!