Careers: First-Line Supervisor
This job is right for you if….
You like training workers, assigning jobs, solving on-site problems, and are a leader.
Being a supervisor is being a team player. You will have to coordinate and support a large group of individuals on the job.
What they do:
Directly supervise and coordinate the activities of agricultural, forestry, aquacultural, and related workers.
People and Technology Systems
- thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- keeping track of how well people and/or groups are doing in order to make improvements
- selecting and managing the best workers for a job
- managing your time and the time of other people
Median Hourly Earnings:
Job Types Include:
- Field Operator
- Harvest Supervisor
- Logging Crew Foremen
- Logging Supervisor
Maine Based Resources To Get Training: Forest & Conservation Worker
Currently, there are four Forestry/Wood Harvesting programs in Maine, all offer Certified Logging Professional (CLP) apprenticeship certification to successful graduates. These programs accept high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Training lasts between one and three years depending on the individual school.
- Oxford Hills Tech School – Norway, Maine
- Foster Technology Center – Farmington, Maine
- Region 9 School of Applied Technology – Rumford, Maine
- Region 2 School of Applied Technology – Dyer Brook, Maine
Maine Community College System
Community Colleges offer programs that may be of interest to prospective first-line forestry supervisors.
- Northern Maine Community College – Presque Isle, Maine
- Central Maine Community College – Auburn, Maine
- Eastern Maine Community College – Bangor, Maine
- Kennebec Valley Community College – Fairfield and Hinkley, Maine
- Southern Maine Community College – South Portland, Maine
- Washington County Community College – Calais, Maine
- York County Community College – Wells, Maine
University of Maine- Forestry Education & Research
- University of Maine at Orono – four year undergraduate and post graduate degrees
- Univeristy of Maine at Fort Kent – two year Associates Degree – Applied Forest Management program
Find Out More!
Interested in finding out more about forestry positions, businesses, and careers here in Maine? Simply share some information below and we’ll have an industry representative reach out directly to you!